Mar 28, 2011

We are afraid of the wrong things.

Im not sure whether they are wrong or right, but I am afraid of a few things. Firstly, I am afraid of the dark lately. Out of nowhere I just can’t seem to sleep with my lights off. It feels like something is going to appear in the dark and choke me or something, its really weird. So, what I do is, I leave the passage light on and leave my door open so that if I do switch my bedroom light off, there is some light coming through. Then the mosquitos start buzzing, that’s the second thing I am scared of. Not so long ago, a programme on SABC 3 called Third Degree featured a story about a lady with a humungous leg and it was mentioned that it was due to mosquito bites. Apparently the name of the illness is elephantitis and it’s very dangerous. Seeing that there are mosquito’s in our house, I am terrified, what if the same thing happens to me?

Thirdly, I am afraid of failure. In fact, that is the main thing I am scared of above the rest. I don’t want to believe that such a thing exists, everyone has a choice in this life and you choose the depths at which you perform, whether it’s at work or with your studies. You choose to pass or fail and you choose to rise above expectations. Failure is a state of mind, it’s not inevitable, and I choose not to see it as a reality. It’s an option, not a choice.

With that said, its true then that we are afraid of the wrong things. What could possibly happen to me, in the comfort of my bedroom, at home…in the dark? It’s in the mind right?  What about elephantitis? I’m sure it’s a 1 in a million statistic and I have nothing to worry about. Failure, I shan’t even entertain that thought. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is so moving, you are posite gal! Fear nothing and you will prosper.

    ReplyDelete