Mar 1, 2011

If I were the boss

I have always wondered how I would treat my subordinates should I be in a authoritarian position one day. Gosh, imagine! Having people answer to you all day, everyday. That, I think, would put a lot of pressure on me as I would have to set an example and live up to very high expectations.

Being boss doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t do any wrong. Having people that depend on you, constantly seek your approval and aim to please can’t possibly be an easy job, I should think.  You too have to follow suit. Happy employees are productive employees and if I were the boss, I would make sure that this is achieved. De-motivated employees don’t pitch up for work; don’t work properly, high absenteeism rate and less productivity.  129

I believe a good boss should give the necessary recognition to hard-working individuals, whether it’s through performance appraisals, quarterly bonuses, commission etc so that the employees can be motivated to perform, knowing that their hard work won’t go unnoticed. An open-door policy is also very key; employees need to know that their boss is there when they need them, whether it’s for personal problems, office politics or work-related issues.

To conclude, being boss means performing the duties of a mentor to your subordinates, someone they can look up to and respect. Even though respect is a two-way process, it goes a long way.

Boss-lady signing out!

2 comments:

  1. A very well articulated article, good points that are important for any boss. Let's hope one of these days you will be a boss, a nice one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some it up dear. I share the same sentiments with you. sharp

    ReplyDelete