Mar 7, 2011

Giving rather than receiving..

So my friend asks me last week what I would like for my birthday, I froze for a second then I answered: You don’t have to! She obviously thought I was being modest, I mean, who doesn’t like gifts? What she didn’t know was that I was actually serious. She gave me a quirky smile and asked again: “What would you like for your birthday friend, I need to prepare my budget and your birthday is only a month away.” She was so keen I just couldn’t resist, so I told her she can get me anything.

You are probably wondering why I don’t like gifts. The thing is, it leaves me so guilty when someone buys me something, immediately I feel obligated to do something for them and I just can’t face them until I return the favour. In fact, I would rather buy someone something instead of being on the receiving end.  I feel more fulfilled when I know I have made someone’s day than otherwise. It’s not that I don’t appreciate gifts, and as clichéd as this may sound; it’s the thought that counts. If someone calls me on my birthday or gives me a hug etc, nothing materialistic, I appreciate it. I believe that the most powerful gifts are those that come from the heart.

Anyway, that is just me. Someone might prefer expressing appreciation in the form of a gift and thats harmless, but still, please dont buy me anything:)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for informing us in advance dear. We will not bother to buy you anything accept hugs and take out you for launch or supper. hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow gal, you are not expensive to maintain, neither as a friend nor otherwise. It is heartwarming to know that you appreciate whatever gift you get.

    ReplyDelete