May 17, 2011

Feelings follow behaviour

I remember the first year of High School like it was yesterday. I hardly studied, always did my homework at the last minute, barely in my teens, no aspirations and hardly motivated to perform at my best….as rebellious as ever. I was 12 and confused and just took each day as it came, as though I was just an invisible being with no direction in life.




Every year our school hosted an awards ceremony to recognise and appraise top students, high achievers, diligent and hard-working students. As the ceremony progressed and kids were coming up and down the hall stage with their awards and certificates, I realised what a waste of a year this had been for me as I hadn’t received a single award and I was devastated. Not only because I knew I didn’t deserve it but had I known of the awards ceremony from the beginning I would’ve worked so hard to make sure I am on that list of top achievers.  I was so disappointed in myself and made a pact with my brain that we’d be working harder next year and aimed for greater heights.

For years that followed things went up-hill. I was always on the top 10 list of achievers in my grade, each and every year. I realised that my ‘i-don’t’care” behaviour in Grade 8 returned feelings of regret, disappointment and inadequacy in me and made sure that this wouldn’t happen to me again. This just goes to show that you truly reap what you sow.  Invest great efforts into something and reap great rewards. Peace!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Zanele, this is amazing, please don't stop to push yourself even now!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written and great pictures. Lovely one Zanele keep it up a good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Mrs M and Mr N!

    ReplyDelete