Apr 25, 2011

It's a poor idea to lie to yourself

Growing up I had a friend who lied about everything. Gosh she was EXHAUSTING! To a point where I just became numb to her lies and started making myself believe whatever she told me was in actual fact true, to avoid arguments.  The minute I came into contact with her, I knew she had a string of stories to tell me and I just had to listen, interpret and give my point of view.  Sometimes I just knew that she actually believes her own lies and needs professional help. To me, she can’t tell the difference between reality and her imagination.  Years later I just couldn’t listen anymore and decided to call it quits, phew!

How does sugar-coating reality make it any better or different? It’s like drinking alcohol and hoping it will drown your sorrows and all your problems will just disappear, they won’t. You are only making things worse for yourself and instead you could just face up to reality and solve your problems there and then, what could you possibly have to lose?!

On the contrary, what if lying to yourself brings about a positive energy in your favour? If maybe you convince yourself that you will get that promotion even though you know you haven’t been performing at the best of your ability, or maybe that your friend is not a bad person when deep down you know she is but you don’t want to accept it. Let’s face it, we all do lie to ourselves sometimes and maybe it’s healthyJ Peace!

3 comments: