Feb 14, 2011

V-DAY

V-DAY

Do you think Valentines Day is overrated?

So this morning as I enter the office everything is RED. Hearts, roses, décor, the works, RED. I thought to myself, people really celebrate and honour this day, why though?

To some Valentines Day is all about celebrating the love you have for your partner, rekindling those special moments, reliving their first romantic encounters and so forth. Why only on this specific day though? Are we not supposed to celebrate love everyday? I mean, without love what have we?

Then there is the hype over buying each other gifts, putting everyone under unnecessary pressure and creating obvious awkwardness.  Many see this day as a money making scheme with retail shops going all out. The moment you step inside a shop, the first sight you see are cute Valentines Day cards, cheesy poems, love quotes, heart-shaped sweets, love songs playing in the background, the works. You can’t help but want to be a part of it hey?

What about the bachelors and bachelorettes of this world? Doesn’t this celebrated day sort of exclude them as it’s meant for the Romeo and Juliets of this world?

Well my opinion on this matter is, if two people love each other, they should show each other everyday, the 14th of February shouldn’t be a defining factor. Just my opinion…

3 comments:

  1. Zanele, I can't see your blog, your background is dark for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zanele

    Your topic was relavent considering it was valentine's day yesterday. However coming back to your question if valentine is overrated? I think it depend to the individuals, how to the value the day and celebrated it. It also depend on the partners themselves if they see the value and meaning of it,putting uncessary pressure to one another, i do not think its a way to go.

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, good point, me, I support V-Day, a girl needs her gift nhe!! I also think we putting too much emphasis on this one day when we really need to be in love ALL THE TIME!!

    ReplyDelete